London Update

I know it's been a few days since my last update, so bear with me as I summarize the events of the past week.

(Note - Some parts of this post are a few days old . . . So I apologize if the writing doesn't flow neatly).

Last Sunday (06-06-10) - We finished up our adventures in Galway with a trip to Inish More, the largest of the Aran Islands. It was a pretty great trip: We biked around the Island, took some pictures, explored Dun Aenghus, and went swimming off the coast. I can't say that skinny dipping off the coast of Ireland was on my Bucket List, but now I can say that I've crossed it off. After barely making it back to the ferry, we left Galway behind and headed back to Dublin, where we hopped a plane back to London the following morning.

Tuesday (06-08-10) - We began our course on Comparative Counter Terrorism at 10 in the Morning. Our instructor, John Radsan, is a bit of a character. His teaching style can best be described as . . . "animated." Monday's class concerned topics such as the threats to American and British national security. After a few hours of lecture and discussion, we headed to a local pub, The Lamb Tavern to eat, drink and socialize.

Wednesday (06-09-10) - Day two of Comparative Counter Terrorism. Tuesdays lecture/discussion concerned the topic of criminal trials v. military tribunals for suspected terrorists and 9-11 plotters. As the day ended and I returned to NIDO (our living facilities) I was a bit anxious about checking for grades (maybe "dreading" is the better word). Unfortunately, there were no updates. Come on Mitchell . . . Pull the freaking Band-aid off!!!

Thursday (06-10-10) - Day three of CCT. Today we discussed Predator drones, the moral/legal implications of their use, Articles 2 and 3 of the Geneva convention, and the "rules of war." We also attempted to answer a hypothetical:

Should and may the United States target Osama bin Laden for a Predator strike if intelligence reveals that he always keeps at least three adopted four-year old Afghan boys with him at all times?

The topics this course is running us through are fascinating. We've also been informed that next Monday Kerri Miller from Minnesota Public Radio will be coming to report on our class discussions, counter terrorism, and the anniversary of the 7/7 suicide bombings in London.

Friday (06-11-10) - Grades for Contracts were posted last night. I'm happy. Not thrilled, but I'm a touch above the average and (most importantly, I survived).

Anyway, Day 4 of CCT. Today we discussed the American States Secrets privilege, and the rather strange Totten Doctrine.

Apparently, President Lincoln personally hired a spy to scout out Confederate territory during the civil war. Lincoln (allegedly) promised to pay this spy (William Loyd) $200 a month plus expenses. You can guess what happened next--"Honest Abe" apparently didn't make good on his promise. So, after Loyd passed away, his estate sued the United States Government to recover for breach on what basically amounts to an espionage contract. The Supreme Court basically knocked down the suit, holding that civil courts cannot hear cases involving secret espionage contracts with the state. I found a really funny limerick online relating to the case:

The President gamely employed
But then stiffed an agent named Lloyd.
Abe knew Lee’s plan
Because of this man,
But the court found his legal claims void.

Saturday (06-12-10) - Finally, the weekend is here. After a bit of a run-around (due mostly to the random repairs of the London Tube System), a few of us made our way over to Buckingham Palace in time to see the Queen's Parade (she just turned 84). After that, I walked around London for most of the day enjoying a bit of ice cream (and anti-fur demonstration at Harrods Department Store (I think the ice cream was the only thing I could actually afford there), and a pleasant walk around Hyde Park, Green Park and St. James' Park.

The evening was spent in the best possible way. A few of us went to a place called The York, pulled up a table right next to a t.v. and watched as the U.S. Soccer team duked it out with England. In order to make things a little more interesting, Tom and I place a little bet on the U.S. It was a small bet, but the odds were so against us that . . . well . . . let's just say we would have been drinking for the next few days from the Cup of Glory . . . relishing the victory of American Soccer . . . and celebrating the broken dreams of English school children . . . but we tied.

Lame.

More updates to come . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment